Friday, October 10, 2008

Needed: Live-in Nanny

You'd think we'd learn our lesson the first time. Tube-slide + lap-riding toddler = broken leg.  (For those who aren't on my private blog, there is a picture on Ashley's blog here.)  Yes, his leg is broken. The same leg. At the same park. Although not on the same exact slide, on one identical to last time.  This time, it was not me who bears the guilt, but Bryce, who feels about the size of a midget flea.  He had a surprise day off today, so we took the boys to the park, and little ol' me was just sitting on the bench nagging at Bryce, "Hold his legs in!"  Even Ewan kept saying, "Hold his legs, Daddy!"  And he did hold his legs.  Then I heard a crack, which I thought nothing of until I heard an unearthly wail coming from Fynn.  Last time, it was a "non-displaced" fracture, and basically the crack was so tiny that the doctor almost missed it on the X-ray.    He didn't need a cast or even a splint last time, although he was in one for the first couple of days.  I don't really know the difference, but the doctor this time said it was an acute fracture.  He's just in a splint now, but he'll be in a cast for six weeks starting next Wednesday.  I don't even know how he's going to handle it, or me for that matter, especially after the baby comes and I am caring for a newborn and a cast-ridden toddler.  Plus making sure Ewan gets the attention he needs with all this going on.  As of now, Fynn is mostly okay, the picture above is him letting us elevate his leg while he snacks on Cheez-its and watches Cars.  

And I want to give Sarah an outpouring of thanks for letting us drop Ewan off for the day totally last minute, especially after the fit he was throwing when we dropped him off.  But Sarah is so awesome because she is so patient and just assured me he'd be fine and shuffled me out the door.  Thanks for being so understanding of Ewan and his moods and for helping us out!  We love you!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! Please, please let me know if/when I can help! Especially after the new baby comes! Poor, poor sweet Fynn! We will keep him in our prayers for a swift recovery!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Happy to help, sister...anytime! I still cannot believe that it happened YET AGAIN!
Don't dispair...you have a great support system and we will be taking good care of YOU and your precious boys.
Smack that Ewan for me, he is too cute. And make sure he knows I WILL take him to see the ducks, I PROMISE! :)

Missy said...

Hey accidents happen, right? I wish it were that was to say, but I know it's going to be a rough 6 weeks! You know there are plenty of us willing to help you out at the drop of a hat so don't be afraid to ask!

And I do have Monday off so if you need ANYTHING, I'll be there!

Erica said...

Speechless. An injured toddler and a newborn and a rambunctous Ewan? I may live down here in Podunkville, but I am happy to help if you need it.

Ashley said...

Poor Fynn. I'm thinking y'all should pick a new park! We will all be able to help out. It will be tough but you'll survive and be stronger because of it. Maybe Ewan can do preschool again? Sure hope Fynn (and you) feel better soon.

Jenny said...

Yikes!!!!!! You can drop Ewan off to play with Stevie ANYTIME! Or I can come pick him up! Maybe during Fynn's nap so you can get some rest!!!

Amber said...

OH NO! How awful, for Fynn and for you, you are going to have your hands full and they are already overflowing.

I'm glad I'm not in your situation right now. Wish I was closer so I could help :)

Mubeen said...

Oh poor thing!!! I know I don't live close but if you need anything, I'd be happy to help!